On Excuses, Excuses (and Sexton's Creek)

Well, I fell a little bit short of my original challenge to discover something new everyday posts because I didn't make it the whole month.  In fact, I only made just over half a month.  I won't list the reasons why here, but let's just say life intervened, as it sometimes does.  And here's a discovery I made (which I already knew, but had to be reinforced for me):  sometimes life must take the driver's seat, even over your writing.  The thing is, though, life doesn't know this, but no matter what is happening, the writing is still in high gear.  Because even though I wasn't able to write those discovery posts everyday, the real-life problems I was having that was keeping me from posting were, in fact, teaching me more and more discoveries every single day.  So I'm thankful for that.  And if I learned one thing during my little exercise in trying to discover something new everyday (and posting it online) it is...well, it's two things:  1.  You can discover something perfectly well without posting it online and 2.  the discovery is all that matters.  It's like that line in one of my favorite books of all time, Fair and Tender Ladies, by Lee Smith:  "It was the writing that signified," the narrator, Ivy Rowe says, after she burns a bundle of letters she has written over the past century.  Well, this time the discoveries signified.  

Now I know I can at least post a new blog every month, and before this exercise I couldn't even do that.  Thanks for listening.  

During this post I did want to share a little piece of writing of mine.  Here's a video of the song "Sexton's Creek," to which I wrote the lyrics and my boon companions Kate Larken and Jason Howard wrote the music.  It's my favorite song that I've written or co-written because, like a good short story, I think it works on lots of different levels. The video was filmed by another boon companion, Denton Loving, at the Highlander Research and Education Center's 77th Anniversary Celebration. It was such an honor to speak there, where people like Rosa Parks learned to do civil disobedience and people like Myles Horton and Don West helped to light the fire of revolution and pride in Appalachia. Oh, and if you've never been to Sexton's Creek, in Clay County, Kentucky, then you've missed a little foretaste of glory.  I hope you like it...


Comments

Amy Clark said…
Heard the three of you perform this at the Mountain Heritage Literary Festival this year and I will never forget it. Beautiful song!
Anonymous said…
this made me happy and made me cry. thanks for posting.
R. L. Tipton said…
The song was great, the writing as fine as usual. Thanks for both! My husband is sitting here admiring the music in particular -- this is the kind of music we were both raised with, and we love it.

Back when Yahoo opened 360 (it closed this summer), I used to post something every single day. It was a battle, but I did it for a reason: discipline. Now when I blog, I think about what I'm posting, because I learned a lot that first go-round. People like fresh stuff, and they like to see it as often as possible. They like real things that speak to them, and that they can think about long afterward.

I love to blog with my friends; in fact, due to the lack of creative community in our area, the internet has saved my (arguable, granted) sanity. Here, I have friends, and they have the same problems I do. Not to mention many of the same joys.
Keith Wilson said…
I really enjoyed the blog posts so far, but I understand real life getting in the way of writing, or more correctly, pushing back the waters of writing. Because all that energy finds its way out someway or another.
Forest Lady said…
I'm a fan of your writing (and Lee Smith's). Will you ever consider making them available to buy for the Amazon Kindle? I carry mine all the time, and would love to have Clay's Quilt in ebook.
Anonymous said…
Thanks,guys,for the song.I loved the lyrics and its musicality. It made me think that we talk about the environment as being separate from us when in fact we're part of it. I wondered what songs you guys would be writing/playing/singing if you grew up here in Australia, and vice versa, if I lived in southern US. See what I mean? We are part of 'the environment' just as your leg is part of your body. This has ramifications for care of 'the environment' because if we don't care for it, effectively we're destroying ourselves. The categorization of the environment as separate from us represents an illusion...all this from just one song. Thanks again guys. Amanda
Ladybird said…
Your thinking and way of expressing your thoughts are clear. I agree with what you are trying to accomplish. You are a brave soul and I like that. Thank you, I have enjoyed your writings on this blog.
Nice song. Thanks for posting.

Popular posts from this blog

Books of 2016

Addendum-Favorite Music of 2013

Favorite Movies of 2016